I need some help interpreting this error

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Feb 17 11:42:03 EST 2021

2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com wrote:
> On 2021-02-17 at 15:40:27 +0000,
> Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm running this using Python 3.7 on a Linux system.
> >
> > Most of the time (i.e. for a couple of days now) the program has been
> > satifactorily delivering mail messages, hundreds of them.  However one
> > mail message has provoked the following error:-
> >
> >     chris at cheddar$ tail mail.err
> >     Traceback (most recent call last):
> >       File "/home/chris/.mutt/bin/filter.py", line 95, in <module>
> >         if sbstrip in msghdr["subject"]:
> >     TypeError: argument of type 'Header' is not iterable
> >

> > But msghdr["subject"] is surely just a string isn't it?  Why is it
> > complaining about something of type 'Header'?
>
> Isn't it?  ;-)
>
> First step:  Print msghdr["subject"] and its type to know for sure.  The
> worst case is that you'll verify your assumption.

The documentation says "Headers are represented by customized
subclasses of str", so it's a sub-class of str.

> IIRC, the subject header is actually optional.  Maybe someone sent a
> message without a subject?  Is msghdr["subject"] None?

If you look at the code (and the documentation) if there's no subject
header I'll get the string "unknown", I've also tried sending myself
an E-Mail with no header and not provoked the error.

--
Chris Green
·