[Python-Dev] Re: Python 0.9.1

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 22:00:59 EST 2021

> Also mind
> http://www.dalkescientific.com/writings/diary/archive/2009/03/27/python_0_9_1p1.html
> for result comparison.

Thanks, Paul. I had lost track of Andrew. Good to know he's still out
there. I wonder why his tar file was never sucked up into the
historical releases page.

Whew! My stupid little extraction script did a reasonable job. I see
plenty of differences, but a cursory examination shows they are only
in leading whitespace. Where I translated "\t" to TAB, it seems Andrew
used a suitable number of spaces. Python modules/scripts seem more
plausibly indented, and the couple I tried worked, so I'm a bit more
confident I have things right:

% PYTHONPATH=lib ./src/python
>>> import string
>>> print string.upper('hello world!')
HELLO WORLD!

% ./src/python lib/fact.py
99999
[3, 3, 41, 271]
4096
[2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2]

The tests don't pass though. 1 * 1 raises an integer overflow exception:

>>> 1 * 1
Unhandled exception: run-time error: integer overflow
Stack backtrace (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1

I'll let someone figure that out. :-)

At any rate, the git repo has been updated.

Skip