Best practices for software architecture in Python

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Tue Feb 16 19:17:47 EST 2021

On 2021-02-11 08:54:11 -0500, Henning Follmann wrote:
> On 2021-02-11, Oscar <jornws200602 at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > In article <slrns27jrh.1m0.hfollmann at helium.itcfollmann.com>,
> > Henning Follmann  <hfollmann at itcfollmann.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>Looks like you (the project leader?) needs training, not the
> >>software engineers.
> >>
> >>"Making Things Happen" by Scott Berkun
> >
> > This looks like a very interesting book to add to my reading list, but
> > how do you think it will help the OP with his/her quest?
> >
> Well the question makes it very obvious that it is a leadership
> issue. Does he really think giving all engineers the Gang of 4
> book will magically lead to a well run OOP project.

Actually he was asking for "an existing open source application", not a
book.

I think dissecting a non-trivial open source project over the course of
a semester would be a great idea for a university course (sort of like
Tananbaum did with Minix).

I'm not at all convinced that it's a good idea for the OP's team. While
reading other people's code is certainly useful for picking up patterns
and idiomatic style, it is much less clear that you get why the author
structured the code this way and how to structure it for your own
project. At the very least this would require a lot of discussion in the
team (basically a code review), especially if the code in question
doesn't have anything to do with your own project.

A book or a course is probably better to pick up the basics.

One important question is whether there already is someone on the team
who is already an experienced OO programmer (and who can therefore take
the technical lead, coach their team-mates, etc.) or whether all of them
have the same (lack of) experience.

        hp