[Python-Dev] Python 0.9.1

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Feb 16 17:44:20 EST 2021

Awesome, Skip!

Was there a date somewhere? I can't recall if this would have been the
first open source release (from just about 30 years ago, sometime in
February 1991) or some time later in the same year?

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 1:57 PM Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com>
wrote:

> A note to webmaster at python.org from an astute user named Hiromi in Japan* referred
> us to Guido's shell archives for the 0.9.1 release from 1991. As that
> wasn't listed in the historical releases README file:
>
> https://legacy.python.org/download/releases/src/README
>
> I pulled the shar files (and a patch), then made a few tweaks to get it to
> build:
>
> % ./python
> hello world!
> ['argv', 'exit', 'modules', 'path', 'ps1', 'ps2', 'stderr', 'stdin',
> 'stdout']
> {'builtin': <module 'builtin'>; 'sys': <module 'sys'>; '__main__': <module
> '__main__'>}
>
> I then pushed the result to a Github repo:
>
> https://github.com/smontanaro/python-0.9.1
>
> There is a new directory named "shar" with the original files, a small
> README file and a compile.patch file between the original code and the
> runnable code.
>
> It was a pleasant diversion for a couple hours. I was tired of shovelling
> snow anyway... Thank you, Hiromi.
>
> Skip
>
> *  Hiromi is bcc'd on this note in case he cares to comment. I didn't want
> to publish his email beyond the bounds of the webmaster alias without his
> permission.

> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/VZYELIYAQWUHHGIIEPPJFREDX6F24KMN/

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>