New Python implementation

Tarjei Bærland tarjei at purelymail.com
Tue Feb 16 16:08:08 EST 2021

David Lowry-Duda writes:

>> In Norway, where I try to teach mathematics to highschoolers,
>> programming has recently entered the teaching of stem subjects.
>>
>> Even if Python is my choice language for personal projects, I am not
>> certain it is the right language to use in a classroom context.
>> I am not sure I agree that a language like Scheme or Logo or
>> Brainfuck, with their small number of building blocks, would be harder
>> to learn.
>
> Does this mean that you also try to teach programming to highschoolers,
> or is there a different (maybe dedicated) teacher to that? What language
> do they use? And does it influence math education at all? (Coming from
> someone who sometimes tries to teach undergraduates about math).
>
> - David Lowry-Duda

Yes, that also means that mathematics teachers are teaching programming
as well. For my part, it's a welcome change, and I've already been
teaching another programming course for a couple of years, but a lot of
teachers are having to start programming alongside their students.

I don't have any numbers for this, but I'd be surprised if less than 95%
of all teachers used Python for this. (I know of no exception.)

I think it's too soon to tell whether it affects the education. However,
I would have liked to better know the motivation for including
it. Python seems like one of several good choices if you want to
manipulate mathematical objects, perhaps mixing in som symbolic algebra
via Sympy, and other "high level concepts". However, if the aim is for
the students to quickly experience what it's like to design their own
simple algorithm without excessive guidance, Python might not then be the
optimal choice.

- Tarjei Bærland

PS: I can't remember in what context I visited it, but thanks for an
inspiring site.