New Python implementation

Roel Schroeven roel at roelschroeven.net
Mon Feb 15 15:37:14 EST 2021

Mr Flibble schreef op 15/02/2021 om 0:32:
> On 14/02/2021 23:00, Christian Gollwitzer wrote:
> I'm not saying that it is unfeasible or very difficult. I'm saying that it is a lot of work, and for a single developer who has this as a side project / support for his graphics engine and who wants to beat existing implementations wrt. speed, I'm saying it is going to take a lot of time. It'definitely impossible by "defining a few JSON schema files", as Leigh claims with his "universal compiler". There definitely IS a lot of stuff in a baseline CPython interpreter - a (seemingly) simple thing like "print" will have an implementation of 1000 lines in C with all the formatting library, file I/O etc. Arbitrary precision integers - another library, networking - yet another and so on.
>
> There will only be one schema file and it is will be a relatively small task which certainly isn't "impossible": I should have a working implementation by the summer.

So your claim is that your compiler is able to, or will be able to,
compile any language just by specifying a small schema file. Great!

Do you maybe have a proof-of-concept? A simple language with a simple
schema file to test the basic workings of your compiler, like your
neoscript or perhaps something like a minimal variant of Python? I'm
curious what such a schema file would like look, and especially how you
use it to not only specify the syntax but also the semantics of the
various languages.

Is it your intention to not only compile procedural and object-oriented
languages, or also functional languages such as Haskell, Ocaml, Scheme?

--
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a
friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger."

Roel Schroeven