New Python implementation

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 13 19:52:43 EST 2021

On 14/02/2021 00:07, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On 13/02/2021 18:11, Alan Gauld wrote:

>> You are going to create a Python compiler that will take existing
>> Python code and output a byte code file.
>
> No neos is not a Python compiler: it is a *universal* compiler that
> can compile any programming language describable by a schema file

Yes, I understand that, but from the perspective of this list
what you are doing is providing a tool (a combination of neos
and a schema) that will take in Python source code and spit out
neos byte code. So, to all intents and purposes it is a Python
compiler (albeit capable of more when needed).

>> If that's correct, then how do you propose to deal with
>> regular Python byte code? And what would the Python disassembler
>> produce - Python assembler instructions or neos?
>
> The neos Python implementation will not be dealing
> with Python byte code in any form whatsoever.

Ok  but what do you do with the disassembler module?
Will it read neos byte code instead of the Python codes?
Also what about tools that work at the byte code level,
I assume they will not work with neos either?
That might include the profiler and debugger for example?

Also what would happen with the interactive prompt (>>>)
I'm assuming you'd expect users to continue using the CPython
interpreter and only compile the source after it was working
there? Like turning on the optimiser in a traditional
compiled language like C.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site