New Python implementation

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 13 13:11:40 EST 2021

On 13/02/2021 16:09, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On 13/02/2021 00:01, Alan Gauld wrote:
>> I'm assuming it's a new executable interpreter that can run any
>> valid python code. Is that correct?
>
> It is a universal *compiler* so it compiles the python code to byte code
> and then optionally to machine code via a JIT which is then executed.

OK, sorry for being dense, but just to be absolutely clear.

You are going to create a Python compiler that will take existing
Python code and output a byte code file. (I assume the byte code
is not standard Python byte code?) And I assume the execution
environment for the bytecode is part of your neos system?

If that's correct, then how do you propose to deal with
regular Python byte code? And what would the Python disassembler
produce - Python assembler instructions or neos?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site