PSYCOPG2

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Sat Feb 13 15:21:05 EST 2021

On 13/02/2021 18.34, Mladen Gogala via Python-list wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 18:29:48 +0000, Tony Ogilvie wrote:
>
>> I am trying to write a program to open a PostgesSQL 13 database using
>> psycopg2. All seems to work if I write direct to Python but if I write
>> the script into IDLE it does not work with the IDLE Shell 3.9.1
>> reporting an error of no attribute 'connect'.
>>
>> I have tried many options to try and get this to work.

Please copy-paste the code of at least one of these "options", together
with the full error-listing.

Before using the connect function, the module must be import-ed. Has
this been done?

If so, an error with connect() probably indicates a problem with the
function call, eg locating the database.

- as said, really difficult without seeing any code and the err.msgs
generated!

> It looks like your idle is not using the same interpreter that you are
> using when writing direct code. Anyway, my advice would be to ditch Idle
> and use VSCode. It's fabulous.

Would it?

Surely if the issue is 'connecting bits together', regardless one still
has to learn the tool and how it works/expects things to be organised?

So, rather than helping the OP with a Postgres/Python/psycopg2 linkage
problem, hasn't (s)he now been presented with an extra learning load?

Regardless, rather than recommending that people send their
'telemetry/tracking data' to MSFT, why not suggest VSCodium
(https://vscodium.com/) - the same open-source IDE, before any such
'extras' are added.

Disclaimer: I do not use or publish Idle, VS-Code, or VSCodium, and have
nothing to gain/lose by MSFT collecting data about what you are doing
with the help of 'their' product.
--
Regards,
=dn