@unittest.skip doesn't print anything in Python <= 3.7

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Feb 11 21:53:07 EST 2021

On 2/11/2021 3:25 PM, אורי wrote:
> Hi,
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66161394/unittest-skip-doesnt-print-anything-in-python-3-7
>
> We are using Django with unittest. Some tests are skipped with the
> @unittest.skip decorator. But if I run the tests with Python 3.6 or 3.7, I
> get a number of tests passed (Ran 993 tests / OK), and if I run the same
> tests with Python 3.8, I get the same number of tests but with some tests
> skipped (Ran 993 tests / OK (skipped=4)).

> I think the skipped tests are skipped in all Python versions, but in Python
> 3.6 and 3.7 there is no output about them being skipped. Is it a bug?

Perhaps you have discover a bug in 3.7 that was fixed in 3.8.  Each new
version comes with a few hundred bug fixes, not just the new features,
although only the latter are featured in the new version announcement.

If you are really concerned, find What's New in 3.8 and look changelog,
linked in the first paragraph, for 'unittest' issues.

--
Terry Jan Reedy