New Python implementation

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 16:13:43 EST 2021

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 10:21 AM Mr Flibble <flibble at i42.removethisbit.co.uk>
wrote:

> For a language to transition from "toy" status it has to be formally
> standardized.  It is unacceptable to define a language in terms of a
> particular implementation. A git repo of Source code and associated
> observable dynamic behaviour when that code is compiled and ran is a poor
> substitute for an official ISO Standard.

I'm inclined to agree, though Python has done surprisingly well at
fostering multiple implementations despite having a reference
implementation for so long.

The thing it'd probably help the most with, is slowly down the rate of
change in the language.  The Core Devs seem to want to improve CPython
rapidly, which is not great for the many other implementations - EG Jython
and IronPython.  Also, "improvements" in CPython are frequently tending
toward featuritis, since the complexity of a language tends to grow with
the square of its feature count.

Does your project have a name yet?  I'd like to follow it through google
alerts or an announcement mailing list.