New Python implementation

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 13:06:48 EST 2021

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 5:01 AM Mr Flibble
<flibble at i42.removethisbit.co.uk> wrote:

> On 11/02/2021 16:31, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 4:35 AM Mr Flibble <flibble at i42.removethisbit.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I am starting work on creating a new Python implementation from scratch
> >> using "neos" my universal compiler that can compile any programming
> >> language.  I envision this implementation to be significantly faster than
> >> the currently extant Python implementations (which isn't a stretch given
> >> how poorly they perform).
> >>

> > I'd like to encourage you to give this a go.  It's a huge task, but it's
> > needed.
>
> Actually it is a relatively small task due to the neos universal compiler's architectural design.  If it was a large task I wouldn't be doing it.
>

> > You may be interested in the approaches of Pypy, Cython, Shedskin and
> > Nuitka.
>
> I am not particularly interested in any of the existing implementations as they bear no relation to the design of my language agnostic universal compiler, runtime, VM and JIT; the only use they will have will be to disambiguate certain Python language constructs that I cannot disambiguate from documentation alone: this is a natural consequence of Python not being standardized; those steering the language need to grow a pair and get Python standardized preferably as an ISO Standard.

You keep insulting Python and the Python devs. Put up or shut up -
show some actual code before you make too many boasts.

Python DOES have a strong language specification. Its semantics are
documented. If you find places where the documentation is lacking,
point them out specifically, don't FUD your way through.

ChrisA