IDE tools to debug in Python?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 13:16:35 EST 2021

On 2021-02-06, Barry <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:

>> On 6 Feb 2021, at 08:06, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2021-02-05, Schachner, Joseph <Joseph.Schachner at Teledyne.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Indeed there are many.  One I have not seen listed here yet, that is
>>> quite light, starts quickly, but does have good debugging capability
>>> is PyScripter.  Completely free, downloadable from SourceForge, 32
>>> or 64 bit versions (must match your Python type).
>>
>> Windows only.
>
> See https://github.com/pyscripter/pyscripter/tree/master/Install
> It says use the zip file non windows.

It's Windows only.

That zip file contains a "portable" version of the Windows app (you
unzip it and run it from the unzipped directory, rather than
installing it using the setup.exe).

Running it on non-windows systems requires a windows emulator
(e.g. wine).

>From the FAQ:

    How do I use PyScripter in Ubuntu?

    This how-to is based on the XFCE 4.8 desktop running on top of
    Ubuntu 11.04. The easiest way to get this configuration is to
    install Xubuntu. Or from any Ubuntu distribution one can install
    the XFCE meta package from Synaptic and choose XFCE from the boot
    manager at login.

    First, install Wine.