IDE tools to debug in Python?

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Thu Feb 4 10:56:02 EST 2021

On 27/01/2021 19:32, flaskee via Python-list wrote:

> While print() is groovy and all,
> if anyone runs across a non-pdb python debugger (standalone or IDE-based)
> please let me know.
>
> I too was blessed with IDE-based debugging (in the 90's!)
>  * where you can set break point(s);
>  * have the program stop right before a suspected failure point;
>  * check the contents of ALL variables, and choose whether to restart;
>  * or skip a few lines before restarting;
>  * or change a variable (hot, move back a few lines and restart, etc.
>  * Some, would even let you alter the code a bit before restarting.
>
> I too, miss this.
>

> Hopefully I did not miss someone mentioning
> such a python tool in the prior thread.

This comes up every now and again. There are a number of visual
debugging tools for Python, but a lot of people don't bother with them.
I don't, though I've been meaning to have a closer look into the options.

https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonDebuggingTools

There are full-fat IDEs like PyCharm, Eclipse PyDev, Komodo, Wing, or
Visual Studio. There's Spyder, which is reasonably popular in the
scientific Python ecosystem. I think there are VSCode plugins for Python
debugging.

And there is even an experimental debugger for Jupyter now!

Just to give you some pointers as to where to look.

-- Thomas