email.message_from_file & quoted printable

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 17:23:42 EST 2021

> That sometimes you want the raw content as it was in the file? That if
> you have that choice (decoded or raw) the default should be False, as it
> does less?

Yeah, thinking back later, the round-trip possibility seemed plausible.
I'll stop overthinking this now...

> That we my _first_ instinct - I've never used get_payload(), myself, and
> I've written my own complete mailfiler :-)

I'm only trying to display email through a web browser, possibly with a
link to the raw message.

> Really, if a function isn't doing what you want you should always read
> the docs for that function specificly, even if you don't want to read
> the entire module docs (which is a big ask).

Yeah, my mental model was simply off. I frequently pull up docs in my
browser. I was thinking the message contents would be normalized when
reading. It didn't occur to me the transformation would occur on the way
out.

I think another way I might have saved myself was if I was using a modern
IDE where I might have gotten some hints hovering over the method call.
But, I'm an End user. I'm sure there is some add-on package I could
install, but I haven't looked.

Skip