ast.parse, ast.dump, but with comment preservation?

samue...@gmail.com samuelmarks at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 22:37:29 EST 2021

I wrote a little open-source tool to expose internal constructs in OpenAPI. Along the way, I added related functionality to:
- Generate/update a function prototype to/from a class
- JSON schema
- Automatically add type annotations to all function arguments, class attributes, declarations, and assignments

alongside a bunch of other features. All implemented using just the builtin modules (plus astor on Python < 3.9; and optionally black).

Now I'm almost at the point where I can run it—without issue—against, e.g., the entire TensorFlow codebase. Unfortunately this is causing huge `diff`s because the comments aren't preserved (and there are some whitespace issues… but I should be able to resolve the latter).

Is the only viable solution available to rewrite around redbaron | libcst? - I don't need to parse the comments just dump them out unedited whence they're found…

Thanks for any suggestions

PS: Library is https://github.com/SamuelMarks/cdd-python (might relicense with CC0… anyway too early for others to use; wait for the 0.1.0 release ;])