How to package a Python command line app?

Barry barry at barrys-emacs.org
Thu Dec 9 12:34:03 EST 2021

> On 8 Dec 2021, at 18:27, Manfred Lotz <ml_news at posteo.de> wrote:
>
> The are many possibilities to package a Python app, and I have to admit
> I am pretty confused.
>
> Here is what I have:
>
> A Python command line app which requires some packages which are not in
> the standard library.
>
> I am on Linux and like to have an executable (perhaps a zip file with a
> shebang; whatever) which runs on different Linux systems.
>
> Different mean
> - perhaps different glibc versions
> - perhaps different Python versions
>
> In my specific case this is:
> - RedHat 8.4 with Python 3.6.8
> - Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with Python 3.8.10
> - and finally Fedora 33 with Python 3.9.9
>

> Is this possible to do? If yes which tool would I use for this?

Have a look at pyinstaller it knows how to collect up all your dependancies and build a folder of files you can distribute. It’s also got a single file mode that you might find useful. The end user does not need to install python.

I am looking at using it to build gui apps a macOs.

You will have to experiment to find out if it solves you glib case concerns.

Barry