[RELEASE] Python 3.11.0a3 is available

Pablo Galindo Salgado pablogsal at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:51:48 EST 2021

You can tell that we are slowly getting closer to the first beta as the
number of release blockers that we need to fix on every release starts to
increase [image: :sweat_smile:] But we did it! Thanks to Steve Dower, Ned
Deily, Christian Heimes, Łukasz Langa and Mark Shannon that helped get
things ready for this release :)

Go get the new version here:

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3110a3/

**This is an early developer preview of Python 3.11**

# Major new features of the 3.11 series, compared to 3.10

Python 3.11 is still in development.  This release, 3.11.0a3 is the third
of seven planned alpha releases.

Alpha releases are intended to make it easier to test the current state of
new features and bug fixes and to test the release process.

During the alpha phase, features may be added up until the start of the
beta phase (2022-05-06) and, if necessary, may be modified or deleted up
until the release candidate phase (2022-08-01).  Please keep in mind that
this is a preview release and its use is **not** recommended for production
environments.

Many new features for Python 3.11 are still being planned and written.
Among the new major new features and changes so far:

* [PEP 657](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0657/) -- Include
Fine-Grained Error Locations in Tracebacks
* [PEP 654](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0654/) -- Exception Groups
and except*
* The [Faster Cpython Project](https://github.com/faster-cpython) is
already yielding some exciting results: this version of CPython 3.11 is
~12% faster on the geometric mean of the [PyPerformance benchmarks](
speed.python.org), compared to 3.10.0.
 * Hey, **fellow core developer,** if a feature you find important is
missing from this list, let me know.

The next pre-release of Python 3.11 will be 3.11.0a4, currently scheduled
for Monday, 2022-01-03.

# More resources

* [Online Documentation](https://docs.python.org/3.11/)
* [PEP 664](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0664/), 3.11 Release
Schedule
* Report bugs at [https://bugs.python.org](https://bugs.python.org).
* [Help fund Python and its community](/psf/donations/).

# And now for something completely different

Rayleigh scattering, named after the nineteenth-century British physicist
Lord Rayleigh is the predominantly elastic scattering of light or other
electromagnetic radiation by particles much smaller than the wavelength of
the radiation. For light frequencies well below the resonance frequency of
the scattering particle, the amount of scattering is inversely proportional
to the fourth power of the wavelength. Rayleigh scattering results from the
electric polarizability of the particles. The oscillating electric field of
a light wave acts on the charges within a particle, causing them to move at
the same frequency. The particle, therefore, becomes a small radiating
dipole whose radiation we see as scattered light. The particles may be
individual atoms or molecules; it can occur when light travels through
transparent solids and liquids but is most prominently seen in gases.

The strong wavelength dependence of the scattering means that shorter
(blue) wavelengths are scattered more strongly than longer (red)
wavelengths. This results in the indirect blue light coming from all
regions of the sky.

# We hope you enjoy those new releases!

Thanks to all of the many volunteers who help make Python Development and
these releases possible! Please consider supporting our efforts by
volunteering yourself or through organization contributions to the Python
Software Foundation.

Your friendly release team,
Pablo Galindo @pablogsal
Ned Deily @nad