Return

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Tue Dec 7 17:49:14 EST 2021

On 08/12/2021 11.07, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 9:04 AM dn via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> plus Python, unlike some other languages, allows us to return multiple
>> values, either as a collection or as an implied-tuple:
>>
>> def function_list():
>>     a_list = [ i for i in range( 9 ) ]
>>     return a_list
>>
>> def function_multiples():
>>     a = 1
>>     b = 2
>>     c = 3
>>     return a, b, c
>>
>> thus:
>>
>> x, y, z = function_multiples()
>
> Not sure what you mean by "implied". You're returning a tuple formed
> from three values, and then unpacking that into three destinations.
> Since, at a technical level, a function can only return one value,
> returning a tuple is the standard way to return more than one thing.

How's it going @Chris?
(we have another 'overseas-speaker' scheduled for next week's PUG
meeting. Rodrigo Girão Serrão will 'beam-in' from Portugal. He presented
at EuroPython. His topic with us will be "Python's Objects" - firstly at
an intro-level for people who've not built a custom-class previously,
and thereafter to more-advanced folk - details upon request...)

Back to tuples: You are (strictly) correct.

As we both know, a lot of people think that the parentheses 'make' the
tuple, whereas in-fact it is the comma-separators.

I'd estimate the OP to be in a learning situation/converting-over from
another language, so allowance for lax terminology/definitions.
--
Regards,
=dn