The sqlite3 timestamp conversion between unixepoch and localtime can't be done according to the timezone setting on the machine automatically.

2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com
Tue Aug 31 17:53:14 EDT 2021

On 2021-09-01 at 07:32:43 +1000,
Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 7:17 AM <2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com> wrote:

> > What about Phoenix?  In the winter, it's the same time there as it is in
> > San Francisco, but in the summer, it's the same time there as it is in
> > Denver (Phoenix doesn't observe Daylight Saving Time).
>
> I prefer to say: In winter, San Francisco (or Los Angeles) is the same
> as Phoenix, but in summer, Los Angeles changes its clocks away, and
> Denver changes to happen to be the same as Phoenix.

Not exactly.  Sort of.  Phoenix and Denver are both in America/Denver
(aka US/Mountain), but only Denver observes DST.  San Francisco and Los
Angeles are both in America/Los_Angeles, and both observe DST.

> At least the US has governed DST transitions. As I understand it, any
> given city has to follow one of the standard time zones, and may
> EITHER have no summer time, OR transition at precisely 2AM/3AM local
> time on the federally-specified dates. (I think the EU has also
> mandated something similar for member states.)

That's my understanding, too.

> If we could abolish DST world-wide, life would be far easier. All the
> rest of it would be easy enough to handle.

Agreed.

> ... I think Egypt (Africa/Cairo) is currently in the lead for weirdest
> timezone change ...

Yeah, I read about that somewhere.  Remember when the Pope declared that
September should skip a bunch of days?

> > Having lived in the United States my entire life (and being a nerd), I
> > can confirm that (1) I'm used to it and handle it as well as possible,
> > but (2) many people are not and don't.
>
> Yup, absolutely. I've been working internationally for a number of
> years now, so my employment has been defined by a clock that isn't my
> own. I got used to it and developed tools and habits, but far too many
> people don't, and assume that simple "add X hours" conversions
> suffice.

Way back in the 1990s, I was working with teams in Metro Chicago, Tel
Aviv, and Tokyo (three separate teams, three really separate time zones,
at least two seaprate DST transition dates).  I changed my wristwatch to
24 hour time (and never looked back).  I tried UTC for a while, which
was cute, but confusing.