The sqlite3 timestamp conversion between unixepoch and localtime can't be done according to the timezone setting on the machine automatically.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 09:11:32 EDT 2021

On 31/08/2021 13:45, Chris Angelico wrote:

> (I find the Ireland situation particularly amusing.

Time zones and daylight saving arrangements in particular are a
nightmare at the micro level. I once worked on a large customer
support application which required all dates/times to be viewable
in UTC plus any of:
- The local support centre's time (eg. Tokyo, Japan)
- The customer organization's local time(eg. Seoul, Korea)
- The local site time (some remote island in the pacific...)

The big problem was the last one since some small countries
have local arrangements for timezones that don't conform to
the official ones. One pacific island had dual "patrons" and to
avoid offending either they adopted a non-standard "timezone"
half-way between the two patron's zones!

In another case we had the principality of Andorra deciding
to put off switching to DST for an extra week because it
would make the snow melt faster and spoil the skiing!
This was decided by the council on the Friday before it
was due to happen and announced on the local radio...

I got more grey hairs on that project than any other.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site