basic auth request

Eli the Bearded * at eli.users.panix.com
Wed Aug 25 16:19:55 EDT 2021

In comp.lang.python, Jon Ribbens  <jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu> wrote:
> On 2021-08-25, Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
>> $COMPANY puts out a lot of things on different IP addresses from
>> a shared public(ish) pool like AWS and assigns different names
>> to them. Later $COMPANY discontinues one or more of those things,
>> terminates the host, and lets the IP address rejoin the public(ish)
>> pool.
>>
>> $ATTACKER notices the domain name pointing to an unused IP address
>> and works to acquire it for their own server. $ATTACKER then gets
>> a cert for that domain, since they can easily prove ownership of
>> the server through http content challenges. $ATTACKER now has a
>> host in $COMPANY's name to launch phishing attacks.
> How does CAA help with this? Unless the domain owner knows in advance
> that they're going to forget about the hostname and prepares for it
> by setting a CAA record that denies all CAs, the attacker will simply
> get a certificate from one of the permitted CAs - since, as you point
> out, they genuinely own and control the relevant IP address.

I believe the way it helps is by limiting to a CA that will insist
all cert requests come through the right channel, not some random
one off somewhere. This doesn't prevent issues, but does raise the
complexity on an already niche attack.

It does aid in knocking out the easy random one-offs from Let's Encrypt.

Elijah
------
using LE for all his personal sites these days