basic auth request

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Wed Aug 25 03:20:13 EDT 2021

> [...]
>> server "prove that you're the same guy". This proof would consist of
>> the latest cert, signed by the older cert's key (or possibly a chain
>> that can construct such a proof, which would allow the server to
>> simply retain each new cert signed by the one previous cert, forming a
>> line - or a tree if necessary). My suspicion is that it'd add little
>> above simply having a valid cert, but if people are paranoid, surely
>> that's a better place to look?
>>

>> The web site proves it owners the hostname and/or IP address using its certificate.
>> You use your trust store to show that you can trust that certificate.
>>
>> The fact that a certificate changes is not a reason to stop trusting a site.
>>
>> So it does not add anything.
>>
>> The pain point in PKI is revocation. The gold standard is for a web site to use OCSP stapling.
>> But that is rare sadly. And because of issues with revocation lists, (privacy, latency, need to
>> fail open on failiure, DoD vector, etc) this is where the paranoid should look.
>>

> Fair point. Let me give you a bit of context.
>
> Recently, the owner/operator of a site (I'll call it
> https://demo.example/ <https://demo.example/> ) died. Other people, who have been using the
> site extensively, wish for it to continue. If the domain registration
> expires, anyone can reregister it, and can then generate a completely
> new certificate for the common name "demo.example", and web browsers
> will accept that. The old cert may or may not have expired, but it
> won't be revoked.
>
> As far as I can tell, a web browser with default settings will happily
> accept the change of ownership. It won't care that the IP address,
> certificate, etc, have all changed. It just acknowledges that some CA
> has signed some certificate with the right common name. And therein is
> the vulnerability. (NOTE: I'm not saying that this is a real and
> practical vulnerability - this is theoretical only, and a focus for
> the paranoid.)
>
> This is true even if the old cert were one of those enhanced
> certificates that some CAs try to upsell you to ("Extended Validation"
> and friends). Even if, in the past, your bank was secured by one of
> those certs, your browser will still accept a perfectly standard cert
> next time. Which, in my opinion, renders those (quite pricey)
> certificates no more secure than something from Let's Encrypt that has
> no validation beyond ownership of DNS.
>
> Of course, you can pin a certificate. You can ask your browser to warn
> you if it's changed *at all*. But since certs expire, that's highly
> impractical, hence wondering why we don't have a system for using the
> old cert to prove ownership of the new one.
>
> So how is a web browser supposed to distinguish between (a) normal
> operation in which certs expire and are replaced, and (b) legit or
> non-legit ownership changes? (Of course the browser can't tell you
> whether the ownership change is legit, but out-of-band info can help

Only if this threat model matters to you or your organisation.
Personal its low down of the threats I watch out for.

The on-line world and the real-world are the same here.

If a business changes hands then do you trust the new owners?

Nothing we do with PKI certificates will answer that question.

For web sites that we care a lot about, like banks, we trust that
the site owners take care to protect that site. This includes making
sure that they do not lose control of its DNS name and certificates.

One of the biggest issues for PKI in recent years has been
Certificate Authorities (CA) that issued certificates for web sites without
checking that ownership. In these cases it lead to the browsers
removing those CA's from the trust stores and also putting extra
rules on all CA's to do a higher quality job.

Barry