on perhaps unloading modules?

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 23 13:54:15 EDT 2021

On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 16:28:12 -0300, Hope Rouselle <hrouselle at jevedi.com>
declaimed the following:

>That's wild. :-) Was this created by Brian Kernighan?  It's hard to
>believe.  Oh, I think he wrote AMPL, wasn't it?  A Mathematical
>Programming Language, or something like that.

	Kenneth Iverson, early 1960s for release, though he started in the late
50s (so a decade before Kernighan). I believe it started life as a notation
for publishing reports, not as an actual implemented language.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_(programming_language)#Development_into_a_computer_programming_language>
{Hmmm, supposed to have influenced Matlab, S, and Wolfram/Mathematica}

	One of the quirks is that one reads APL from right to left... cf:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_(programming_language)#Pick_6_lottery_numbers>

	You do not want to look down at the one-liner for Conway's Game of
Life.

	wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/