some problems for an introductory python test

Hope Rouselle hrouselle at jevedi.com
Sat Aug 14 23:40:10 EDT 2021

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 9:23 AM Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

[...]

>>         I was spoiled by the Amiga variant of REXX. Most current
>> implementations (well, Regina is the only one I've looked at) can just pass
>> command to the default shell. The Amiga version took advantage of Intuition
>> Message Ports (OS supported IPC). That allowed it to "address
>> <application>" any application that defined an ARexx port, allowing ARexx
>> to be used as a scripting language for that application (and with multiple
>> applications, one could easily fetch data from app1 and feed it to app2).
>> ARexx did not, to my memory, implement arbitrary precision math.
>
> The same functionality was available in OS/2, but not heavily used.
> You could 'address cmd commandname' to force something to be
> interpreted as a shell command, but that was about it. However, I
> built a MUD that used REXX as its scripting language, and the default
> destination was sending text back to the person who sent the command;
> and you could, of course, still 'address cmd' to run a shell command.
>
>>         I've not seen anything equivalent in my light perusal of the Win32 API
>> (the various guide books aren't layed out in any way to be a reference),
>> and Linux seems to use UNIX sockets for IPC... No way to search for a
>> connection point by name...
>
> Win32 doesn't really have it. Unix sockets are kinda there but you
> identify something by a path to the socket, not the name of the
> application. But I think dbus is probably the closest to what you're
> thinking of.

Win32 offers some APIs that sound like it could be what you guys are
talking about here that I'm not too clear what it is.  There are some
shared memory you can reference by name, so it's as easy to use: both
applications invoke a procedure with a string-argument and exchange
information that way.  (And Win32 does support named pipes as well.)  I
mean I'm sure you know it all better than I do.  (Perhaps I'm too
clueless here.)  I could look up the Win32 APIs I'm thinking of if that
would clarify things.