Recoding Categorical to Numerical

John Griner johndavidgriner74 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 18:33:22 EDT 2021

Hello, and thanks in advance,

     I am trying to recode categorical variable to numeric.  Despite using
lambda, If else, dummy-recoding, and so forth, what I get is from ONE
column that has 4 variables (City, Town, Suburb, Rural), I get FOUR columns:

localeDummy_City          localeDummy_Town      localeDummy_Suburb
localeDummy_Rural       locale_recode

with the corresponding numeric variable.

What I want is the recode to have ONE column that has the numeric
conversion.

For instance:

local_recode

2

4

4

6

2

8

6

2

8

2

2

4

6

4

8

and so forth, where I have set City to 2, and Town to 4, etc.

Again, thanks, John

loca

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>