some problems for an introductory python test

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 12 17:15:58 EDT 2021

On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 04:41:42 +1000, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>
declaimed the following:

>Yeah. It was a strange choice by today's standards, but back then,
>most of my GUI programs were written in REXX.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VX-REXX
>http://www.edm2.com/0206/vrexx.html

	There was a library for the Amiga ARexx that supported basic GUI
implementation too...
>And of COURSE nobody would ever take an old serial mouse, take the
>ball out of it, and turn it into a foot-controlled signal... although

	Of course not -- you'd want an old joyboard for that <G>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyboard

>SysRq should theoretically be that. (That's Alt+PrtSc on a lot of
>keyboards.) I'm not sure how it could best be handled though. It might

	While so marked, Windows, at least, interprets <alt><prt sc> as "grab
image of current Window", whereas <prt sc> is "grab image of entire
display".

>be that today's GUI systems (X11, Wayland, Cocoa, Win32, etc) just
>wouldn't work with a single input queue. Would be curious to see if
>any modern OS/GUI pair has a synchronous input queue like that.

	Not "modern" in this era, but I'm fairly certain the Amiga used a
single stream queue. But that stream was fed to every application running,
leaving it up to the application to determine if the event was something it
had to handle, or pass on further. It was also fairly easy to inject events
into the stream (which could help finding some of the easter eggs in the OS
<f10> AND, while holding them down, eject and insert a floppy disk.
[without the floppy, <f1> to <f9> put up a credits display for the people
who had worked on parts of the OS... The <f10> floppy mess then brought up
a display with approximately "we created Amiga, CBM messed it up"])

	wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/