Is there a better way to create a list of None objects?

Stephen Tucker stephen_tucker at sil.org
Thu Aug 12 04:57:33 EDT 2021

Hi,

I thought I'd share the following piece of code that I have recently written
(a) to check that what I have done is reasonable - even optimum,
(b) to inform others who might be wanting to do similar things, and
(c) to invite comment from the community.

#

# Yes: Create an empty list of Band Limits for this language

#

# Note. The rather complicated logic on the right-hand side of the

#       assignment below is used here because none of the following

#       alternatives had the desired effect:

#

# Logic             Effect

#

# [None * 8]        TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for *: ...

# [(None) * 8]      TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for *: ...

# [((None)) * 8]    TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for *: ...

# [(None,) * 8]     [(None, None, None, None, None, None, None, None)]

# list ((None) * 8) TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for *: ...

#

diclll_BLim [thisISO_] = list ((None,) * 8)