SQLALchemy: update with in clause from kwargs

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 21:08:17 EDT 2021

I am trying to write a function that takes kwargs as a param and
generates an update statement where the rows to be updated are
specified in an in clause.

Something like this:

    def update_by_in(self, **kwargs):
        filter_group = []
        for col in kwargs['query_params']:
            # obviously this line does not work as col is a string,
but this is the intent
            filter_group.append(col.in_(tuple(kwargs['query_params'][col])))

        self._session.query(self.model_class).filter(*filter_group).update(kwargs['values'])

self.update_by_in(
    **{'query_params': {'companyCode': ['A', 'B', 'C']},
        'values': {'portfolioName': 'test'}}
 )

Is there a way to do this? I think I need to use setattr in building
up the filter_group list, but I'm not quite sure how to do it.