Are there Python modules that allow a program to write to the screen?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 10:06:32 EDT 2021

On 4/26/21 12:38 AM, Stephen Tucker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have old software written in GWBASIC that I use to plot diagrams on the
> screen.
>
> In Windows 10, I have to resort to using the DOSBox emulator to run it.
>
> I would dearly like to re-write it in Python - ideally Python 2.7.
>
> What, if anything, is available?
>
> Stephen Tucker.

Probably this is off-topic for me to say on a Python list, but why not
see if you can compile your GWBASIC program in FreeBASIC[1].  It
supports all graphics commands and screen modes of yesterday and can do
them in a window on modern operating systems.

As for Python, you may find that something like SDL or PyGame provides
primitives that are not far off of what you had in GWBASIC all those
years ago.  As ChrisA has said, Python 2.7 is *not* recommended for any
new projects.

[1] https://www.freebasic.net/