Ad-hoc SQL query builder for Python3?

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Mon Apr 26 07:03:11 EDT 2021

On 2021-04-25 15:23:57 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2021, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> > What should that sql query builder build the queries from? Or in other
> > words what is the user supposed to input?
>
> Peter,
>
> From the dialog box offering tables, columns, and rows from which a SELECT
> statement will be constructed.
>
> This is not a console application with a CLI; it has a GUI so there's no
> direct access to the backend db from within the application.

This is a non-sequitur. To present "tables, columns, and rows" the
application needs access to the database whether the presentation is
done via a graphical or text user interface. Unless these don't change,
then they could be "embedded" in the application - but even then you
would want to execute the the generated SQL queries at some point.

It would have made sense if you had said that it is a web application,
so there is no database connection from the uers's machine to the
database server (only from the web server to the database server). Or
that there is some middleware tier between the application and the
database. But (to me at least) "an application with a GUI" does not
imply either.

        hp