Ad-hoc SQL query builder for Python3?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 24 19:05:44 EDT 2021

On 24/04/2021 15:24, Rich Shepard wrote:
> My web searches are not finding what I need to include in an application I'm
> building: an ad-hoc sql query builder.
>
> End users will want to query their data for reports not included in the
> built-in queries.

I assume you understand the huge risks involved in such a tool.
Letting users loose on their own data (and possibly other peoples)
allows for huge potential damage/data loss etc.

You can reduce the risk by finding ways to limit the access
to read-only and tightly controlling which tables etc can be
accessed. But many SQL builder tools don't do that and simply
provide a way to create queries, including drop table,
delete from etc. (Quite reasonably since they are usually
aimed at DBAs rather than ordinary users)

As a minimum ensure you have auto-backup processes in
place every time the tool is opened.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site