port to PDOS (especially mainframe)

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 16:17:56 EDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 1:05 PM Paul Edwards <mutazilah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, April 17, 2021 at 5:13:31 AM UTC+10, Paul Rubin wrote:
> > Paul Edwards <muta... at gmail.com> writes:
> > > I have succeeded in producing a Python 3.3 executable despite being
> > > built with a C library that only supports C90.
>
> > It seems to me that you might have an easier time porting MicroPython
> > than CPython, if MicroPython fills your requirements.
>
> The documentation for "asma" says it requires Python 3.3
> or above, and I have no idea how accurate that claim is.
>
> I'll only know whether *my* flavor of Python 3.3 is good
> enough for "asma" when I reach that point.

It'd probably be pretty simple to build micropython on a Linux system, and
try to run asma on that.  I've built micropython Linux before.

If asma runs there, it'd suggest you might do well to port micropython to
PDOS instead.

Micropython has the dual benefits of being small and being supported.
CPython 3.3 doesn't even get security fixes anymore.