question about basics of creating a PROXY to MONITOR network activity

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 10:17:59 EDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:11 AM cseb... at gmail.com <cseberino at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to create an application that stands in between all
> connections to a remote server to monitor behavior for
> security and compliance reasons.
>
> I'm guessing I'll have all users log into this middle man proxy
> application instead of logging into the original website?
>
> Are there any frameworks or existing Python apps to help
> with this project?

Yes, they'd all need to log in to the middle man. That has significant
impact on things like SSL, unless you also own the remote server and
can use the same certificate.

I'd recommend looking into one of the well-known web app frameworks
like Django or Flask, and making sure you know how all of that works.

Also, you'd better be really REALLY sure that your monitoring is
legal, ethical, and not deceptive.

ChrisA