Horrible abuse of __init_subclass__, or elegant hack?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 20:00:10 EDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 10:43 AM dn via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:

> On 02/04/2021 10.13, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > Well, it's a simple matter of chronology. First you have crude oil,
> > then time passes, and then you have plastic and residue. It makes
> > sense ONLY if you think of it with a specific ordering, which implies
> > Python 3.7 or later.
>
> My anxiety over 'ordering' comes to the fore: if there are multiple
> inputs and/or multiple outputs, how can one tell where the former series
> ends and the latter begins?
>
> "Explicit" cf "implicit"?

The exact same way. Before time passes, you have all of the inputs;
after time passes, you have all of the outputs. (The way the game
goes, all inputs are consumed simultaneously and all outputs produced
simultaneously, so there's no chronological distinctions between
them.)

> > Hot chocolate? Ahh, now, that's the other thing I drink a lot of. I
> > even have a dedicated mug with a Cadbury logo on it. Sadly, not easily
> > purchasable, but this one was a gift from a family member who knows
> > full well that I have my priorities straight.
>
> Cadbury do not make chocolate!
> Neither do Hershey, for that matter!
> There, now that I've upset most of the English-speaking world...
>
> PS they use the milk to 'water down' the chocolate! It's much like
> buying Easter Eggs: the density of chocolate is much lower for the price.

Chocolate comes in tiers.

1: Top tier chocolates - fine chocolates - are made by true artisans,
and are generally purchased in smaller quantities due to pricing.
(Although I did once buy something like 50kg of Lindor balls. That was
a gooood day.)

2: Everyday chocolate. Mass-produced, so it's lower quality but far
lower in price. Sure, it's not as amazing as eating Guylian or Godiva,
but you can eat a block of Cadbury every day and still be within
budget.

3: Cooking chocolate. Comes cheaper than typical block chocolate, is
usually firmer, and takes more effort to make good use of, but you can
take a potato peeler to it and put chocolate shavings on your Pavlova,
which doesn't really work as well with a block of Dairy Milk.

4: Cheap chocolate. Easter eggs, bulk stuff, the sorts of things you
throw at children to keep them happy. Sometimes has nostalgia value,
but it's low-grade stuff. Some of it isn't too bad, but you end up
paying MORE for it than you would for tier two chocolate, since it's
usually packaged up far too much. Also, some of it is downright
disgusting. I won't name names, but one time I had access to a bulk
load of white chocolate (and yes, you could say that white chocolate
isn't chocolate to start with, but some of it is actually good), and
it tasted like milk powder. Why people pay so much for low-grade
chocolate wrapped up in fiddly foil covers, I don't know.

> View
> https://www.whittakers.co.nz/en_NZ/products/72-dark-ghana/block-250g
> before questioning my curmugeonly credentials!

Oh yes, that's definitely one of the good brands. By "credentials", do
you mean that you have some connection with the company? If not,
that's fine, but it would certainly be notable if you do!

ChrisA