Horrible abuse of __init_subclass__, or elegant hack?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 02:25:05 EDT 2021

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 3:36 PM dn via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:

> On 01/04/2021 13.54, Chris Angelico wrote:
> > Real and imaginary are the same thing, just rotated a quarter turn....
>
> In which dimension(s)?

Cartesian.

> >> Without looking into the details/context: surely there's a more
> >> straightforward approach?
> >
> > Perhaps, but there are potentially a LOT of recipes, and I needed to
> > be able to cleanly edit those, even if the code at the top was a mess.
> > (The goal here is to map out production patterns in the game
> > "Satisfactory", for the curious. It's easy to add other things, like
> > computer manufacturing or bauxite processing, simply by adding more
> > recipes.)
> >
> > My original plan was basically pairwise tuple summing (deriving a set
> > of "oil in, water in, rubber out, fuel out" for each set of recipes,
> > where some might be zero), but it turned out that that wasn't flexible
> > enough, and it really needed more options than that.
>
> Which was where my mind was going*. Why not a dict of inputs, processes,
> and outputs**? Each dict having variable length, from None, and
> key:values assigned at declaration/init. In the case of process, the
> contained objects could be Python-functions. With "compact
> representation" (3.6+) the functions could also be relied upon to
> represent a 'production line' or pipeline of functions.

Perhaps, but the key here is the input method. It wouldn't look nearly as clean.

> > I already have certificates from Rutledge's Asylum and MaayaInsane's
> > (unnamed) asylum, so that seems pretty likely.
>
> Noted you on the list of lauded alumni at the latter.

Hmm, where do you see that list? I'm curious.

> When you left the former, did they allow you to keep the t-shirt, or did
> you have to buy your own memorabilia?
> (https://mysterious.americanmcgee.com/products/rutledge-asylum-mug)

I beg your pardon? What is this "left"? I'm still there! Actually I
pay my membership on a monthly basis, and in return, my walls are
lavishly decorated in Alice art.

> The latter's treatment list sounds remarkably like .mil training. I know
> of plenty with that t-shirt - but can't think of a one sporting a mug...
> Should you have one, kindly bring it (with appropriate contents) come
> ANZAC Day at the end of this month...

https://streamlabs.com/maayainsane/merch/1053635
This is what I'd bring. They're the standard mugs that I offer to
guests. Well, I would if ever I had guests, but hermitism is a
thing...

> Magic, you ask? Well, maybe more "sinister". We did manage to find a
> loose floor-board, but a sad life-lesson was learned, when certain ones
> (un-named*) took it upon themselves to eat all of the contraband
> secreted there.

Uh oh. How old was the contraband?

ChrisA