Problem

Eryk Sun eryksun at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 19:23:05 EDT 2020

On 9/30/20, Mirko via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:

> I have only limited knowledge about current Windows systems. But it
> seems to me that newcomers download some setup exe/msi and then
> search the menu to run what ever is found (python.exe or even the
> setup-program.)

It might help some people who try to run Python via the installer if
it actually had "installer" in the name. For example,
"python-3.8.5-amd64-installer.exe" instead of
"python-3.8.5-amd64.exe".

> Shouldn't IDLE be named something like "Python Editor" (or Python
> IDE/App) in the menu, so beginners can more easily find it? Further
> it might be a good idea to make this "Repair/Modify/Remove"-Dialog
> more explicit by clearly saying "Python is already installed. If you
> want to use it, do ...".

Explorer tracks recently added start-menu items and indicates them as
"New". The Python 3.x start-menu folder has clearly named shell links
such as "IDLE (Python 3.9 64-bit)" and "Python 3.9 (64-bit)" (run
python.exe), as well as "Python 3.9 Manuals (64-bit)" (chm docs) and
"Python 3.9 Module Docs (64-bit)" (pydoc browser).

The successful installation message was recently changed to include
brief instructions for running Python via the `py` command as well as
a direct link to Python on Windows docs [1]:

    New to Python? Start with the online tutorial [link] and
documentation [link]. At your terminal,
    type "py" to launch Python, or search for Python in your Start menu.

    See what's new [link] in this release, or find more info about
using Python on Windows [link].

I'd wager that Steve would welcome a PR to add a similar message to
the modify/repair dialog.

[1] https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/v3.9.0rc2/Tools/msi/bundle/Default.wxl#L108