error in install.sh

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Sep 30 14:06:48 EDT 2020

RobH wrote at 2020-9-30 13:27 +0100:
>I had to do a reinstall of my linux system due to a faulty ssd, and have
>a problem with a install.sh script.The said script is included in with
>lcd files. which I downloaded from github.
>
>When I run ./install.sh, it fails at
>./install.sh: line 34: syntax error: unexpected end of file.
>
>I don't know what the syntax should be here;
>
>These are the last 4 lines in the script, and if I count the spaces then:
>
>echo "Should be now all finished. Please press any key to now reboot.
>After rebooting run"
>echo "'sudo python demo_lcd.py' from this directory"
>read -n1 -s <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< I think this is the line in question

The command above is broken:
`read` is a `SHELL BUILTIN COMMAND`;
its purpose is to read words from standard input into shell variables
specified on the command line. The command above does not name
any variables.
The "<<" in the command above introduces a `HERE DOCUMENT` redirection:
it allows a script to privide input data. Its syntax is:
              [n]<<[-]word
                      here-document
              delimiter
The "HERE DOCUMENT" redirection reads the script text following
the command until *delimiter* (derived from *word*) is found on
a line by itself.
In your case, the delimiter is not found resulting in "unexpected EOF".

--
Dieter