Use of a variable in parent loop

Stephane Tougard stephane at sdf.org
Sun Sep 27 05:27:30 EDT 2020

On 2020-09-27, Stefan Ram <ram at zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>Is there any other instruction to end a if than pass and ensure Emacs
>>does not break the indentation during a copy paste or an indent-region ?
>
>   We usually do not wish to tie our code to a defective editor.
>   I use vi, and can assure you that there is no such restriction
>   in a real editor.

It's funny, I've made a few tests and I see that pass has no impact on
if block in fact, I can put it anywhere and add code behind, it works
fine. I was sure that pass was breaking the if block, it does not.

That's however still the way Emacs seems to see it (I can not add
any code in a if block after a pass, pass acts as if it breaks the if
block).

As pass does nothing anyway, that looks like a good way to mark the end
of a block and I did not find any valid reason to not use it this way.
That's not a question of editor, that's a question of having a clear way
to mark the end of a block, I guess the Emacs maintener found this way
and I think it's a great idea.

If a extremist Pythonist takes over my code some day, he'll have to
search and delete hundreds of useless pass. I laugh already thinking
about it.