list comprehension namespace problem

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Fri Sep 25 01:41:42 EDT 2020

Hi all

I have a problem related (I think) to list comprehension namespaces. I
don't understand it enough to figure out a solution.

In the debugger, I want to examine the contents of the current instance,
so I can type

     (Pdb) dir(self)

and get the result with no problem.

However, it is a long list containing attribute names and method names,
and I only want to see the attribute names. So I tried this -

     (Pdb) [x for x in dir(self) if not callable(getattr(self, x))]
     *** NameError: name 'self' is not defined
     (Pdb)

Q1. Can someone explain what is going on?

Q2. Is there a way to get what I want?

Thanks

Frank Millman