Is there a way to install 3.4.10, without Visual Studio?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 03:51:05 EDT 2020

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 5:36 PM dcwh... at gmail.com <dcwhatthe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I just use the most recent 3.4.x version that has a Windows Installer, and not worry about the final 3.4.10 version?  Or is there a way to get to 3.4.10?

I would STRONGLY recommend using a newer Python rather than pinning
yourself to the 3.4.x branch. But if you absolutely must use a
now-ancient version, your only options are to build it yourself (which
requires Visual Studio as you have discovered) or to use a slightly
older release. It's entirely up to you whether the changes in 3.4.10
are significant enough to build Python manually. Either way, you're
basically on your own.

If you really really have to use such an old Python, maybe consider
using Linux instead of Windows; building from source is generally
easier, and you may even be able to find a distribution that packages
Python 3.4 for you (Red Hat and Debian being the best contenders
here).

ChrisA