Making Python the Best App Dev Platform

gMail valjhuber at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 20:50:06 EDT 2020

Hello, All

We all know Python is a wonderful environment, with fantastic packages for App Dev like Flask, SQLAlchemy and Django.  Now let’s make it the only reasonable choice for building database-oriented systems.

I’d like to introduce 2 new capabilities:

Build a web app in 10 minutes: this generator <https://github.com/valhuber/fab-quick-start> builds basic multi-page, multi-table apps based on Flask AppBuilder and SQLAlchemy; here’s an article <https://dzone.com/articles/instant-db-web-apps>

40x reduction in backend code: this rules engine <https://github.com/valhuber/python-rules> uses spreadsheet-like rules to automate SQLAlchemy multi-table derivation and constraint logic.  The readme and samples show how 5 rules equate to 200 lines of code.

The potential value is substantial: a 40X is reduction is not only helpful for our projects, but has the potential to expand our community.

The second project is in-progress.  If you have feedback on the general value or particular features, I’d love to hear from you.  And if you’d like to help, super!

Best,
Val