Uninstall problem

Mats Wichmann mats at python.org
Sun Sep 6 09:44:43 EDT 2020

On 9/6/20 6:24 AM, Luuk wrote:
> On 5-9-2020 19:40, Mats Wichmann wrote:
>> On 9/5/20 7:54 AM, f.leroy at omnias.fr wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> I commit an error to install python because I chose python 3.8.5
>>> x32bytes
>>>
>>> So I wanted uninstalling it to install python 3.7.9 x64bytes
>>
>> why not 3.8.5, by the way?
>>
>>> But 3.8.5 version don't want uninstall !?!
>>
>> what does this mean?   uninstall should work like any uninstall on your
>> platform. in what way doesn't it want to uninstall?
>>

>>> And so I have the twice in my computer now ! How can I do to
>>> uninstall 3.8.5
>>> ?
>>

>> it doesn't hurt to have more than one.  If you're on Windows, and use
>> the Python Launcher, you can show all your installs, and use it to
>> select the one you want:
>>
>> py --list
>> py -3.7        # specifically pick 3.7
>> py -3.8-32   # pick 32-bit 3.8, if both 64-bit and 32-bit are installed
>> py -3-64      # pick latest 64-bit Py3
>>
>> The one reason you might be unhappy with both is that the Python
>> Launcher picks the highest numbered one as the default, so just
>>
>> py
>>
>> would get you 32-bit 3.8.   if both 64-bit and 32-bit of same version
>> are installed, the 64-bit one is preferred.
>>

> D:\TEMP>python -V
> Python 3.8.5
>
> D:\TEMP>py --list
> Installed Pythons found by py Launcher for Windows
>  -3.7-64 *
>

> Can you explain above?

Not sure what you're asking here?  The python launcher is a separate
program which keeps track of (and launches) your python.org Python
installations, intended to cut down on the amount of path fiddling you
otherwise have to do.  Because of where it's installed (your snip
below), it's always found.  However, the Microsoft Store version of
Python doesn't participate in this, as far as I've found in the past -
and this would seem to be borne out by your investigation.