Replacement for pygtk?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 19:45:44 EDT 2020

On 9/3/20 1:17 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2020-09-03, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> Is pygobject the replacement for pygtk?
>
> It seems to be.  I've started porting my pygtk app, and it's going
> pretty smoothly.  I've already got my two custom widgets working.
> Oddly, the main module provided by the gobject package is called "gi".

It stands for "gobject introspection." The nice thing about the gi
module is it can wrap any gobject-based library, not just GTK+ proper.
So if someone made a custom widget in Vala, for example, you could
access it via gi.  It's a neat idea. My only problem with it is the
resulting Python API is not always as pythonic as pygtk code was.  I
can't think of any specific examples at the moment, however.  It's
pretty much good enough to not care too much.  Similar arguments can be
made against PyQt as well.  Especially with PyQt the end result feels a
bit like writing C++ with a python syntax.