Symlinks already present

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 14:42:05 EDT 2020

On 2020-09-01, Richard Damon <Richard at Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> Remember, we are talking about a hypothetical OS that handles hardlinks
> to directories, and defines that .. will point to the parent used to
> come to it, NOT just having current *NIX allowing hardlinks to
> directories with no remediation of the issues cause.

I can testify from personal experience that SunOS 3/4 was in the
latter category.  After creating a hard-link to a directory, things
like fsck and the filesystem dump backup utility got very upset and
confused.  IIRC the only way to recover was to nuke the involved
inodes then let fsck try to pick up the pieces and put them in the
lost+found. IIRC, I managed to recover without losing any files, but
it wasn't a fun day.

--
Grant