What kind of magic do I need to get python to talk to Excel xlsm file?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Tue Sep 1 10:44:29 EDT 2020

Steve writes:
> Glutton for punishment, I am looking into designing another .py program.  I
> would like to pull two columns of information from Excel but the more I look

I've found the xlrd module easy to use for extracting data from
Excel files. But I've only used it on .xsl and .xsls. I've never
encountered a .xlsm, but a web search tells me that extension means
it has macros, and if you want macros to be executed, that may be
quite a bit more difficult.

One person says xlrd works for xlsm:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23554808/how-to-extract-sheet-from-xlsm-and-save-it-as-csv-in-python
and the discussion also includes an example using pandas. So now
you have three possible options (including the openpyxl someone
else suggested).

        ...Akkana