Best way to determine user's screensize?

Igor Korot ikorot01 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 01:26:29 EDT 2020

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 10:44 PM Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 30, 2020, at 20:18, Igor Korot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 6:59 PM Peter J. Holzer <hjp-python at hjp.at> wrote:
> > > So, assuming the user is invoking the application for the first time,
> > > how should an application determine how much of the screen it should
> > > use? It has to make some choice, and any hard-coded value is almost
> > > certainly wrong. So why should an application not use the screen size as
> > > one factor?
> >
> > It is not up to application.
> > It is up to the underlying layout system to decide.
>
> What is a "layout system"? I don't think such a thing exists, in general, for positioning top-level windows on major platforms. Each application has to write its own, and it is reasonable for the layout system itself [which, as I've pointed out, is part of the application - there is no such thing as a system service] to need access to this information.

This one is for "JAVAsucks" -
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/layout/visual.html
This one is for wxWidgets - https://docs.wxwidgets.org/3.0/overview_sizer.html
This one is for Qt - https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/layout.html
This one is for GTK -
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/LayoutContainers.html

Are you still going to argue "it does not exist"?

Every cross-platform has a layout system otherwise it will a burden to write
cross-platform apps.

Thank you

Thank you.