GUI (tkinter) popularity and job prospects for

Dietmar Schwertberger maillist at schwertberger.de
Mon Oct 26 14:51:59 EDT 2020

On 23.10.2020 18:52, John Pote wrote:
> I've used tkinter and wxPython occasionally in the past for 1 off test
> tasks (and interest). What's the advantage of Qt?

Qt does support mobile and touch oriented user interfaces. Also, it does
support GUI programs on microcontrollers now on bare-metal.

Desktop development has long moved out of the focus of the Qt company.
(This shift dates back to the time when Nokia was the owner.)
Just have a look at their start page and you know the focus. Qt company
is living from expensive industry licenses. Providing frees solutions to
the open source community is not the core business.

Qt still supports traditional desktop development in form of Qt Widgets,
but there's pressure to move to QML. This is more comparable to the
HTML/CSS/Javascript approach.
Personally I would not want to go that way for desktop applications. The
traditional single-language approach with API and debugger seems much
more straightforward and time-saving.

For many types of desktop applications I would just recommend wxPython,
together with wxGlade as a GUI builder. This will provide a quick start
and high productivity for many tasks.
That's another point: Qt Designer is recognized as one of the most
advanced GUI builders, but when you actually want to use it with Python
it does not really help you much. Using it is too complicated for the
beginner or casual user and for the advanced user it's easier to avoid
it completely.

Regards

Dietmar