GUI (tkinter) popularity and job prospects for

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Sun Oct 25 15:25:37 EDT 2020

> On 23 Oct 2020, at 17:52, John Pote <johnpote at jptechnical.co.uk> wrote:
>

> On 23/10/2020 05:47, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> I think that commercial desktop applications with a python
>>> compatible GUI would likely use QT or a Python binding thereof.
>> Agreed. If you want to improve you "hirability" for GUI application
>> development, I would probably put Qt first.  Then gobject or
>> wx. Tkinter would probably be last.

Agreed.

> I've used tkinter and wxPython occasionally in the past for 1 off test tasks (and interest). What's the advantage of Qt?

I have not looked at tk for a very long time, cannot comment on it.

I used to use wxPython but ported all my code to PyQt.
They took too long to get to python 3 support.

PyQt has far fewer platform specific behaviours that need working
around than wxPython does (did?).

It should be noted that the developer of PyQt does it as his job, so there is enough
work to keep him well payed.

Barry