Is there a log file that tracks every statement that is being executed when a program is running?

Steve Gronicus at SGA.Ninja
Sun Oct 25 12:47:26 EDT 2020

Yes, I have been doing this already.  I include the line number to help me find, or search for, the location of the print statement.  Unfortunately, it requires a keen understanding in which the program has progressed in order to trace.

A printout of every line number executed could help.

FootNote:
If money does not grow on trees, then why do banks have branches?

From: Maxime S <maxischmeii at gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 25, 2020 7:15 AM
To: Steve <Gronicus at sga.ninja>
Cc: Python <python-list at python.org>
Subject: Re: Is there a log file that tracks every statement that is being executed when a program is running?

Hi,

You can use the trace module for that: https://docs.python.org/3.8/library/trace.html

Personally I tend to put print statement at strategic places instead, I find that easier to analyse than a full trace but YMMV.

Maxime

Le dim. 25 oct. 2020 à 01:25, Steve <Gronicus at sga.ninja <mailto:Gronicus at sga.ninja> > a écrit :

This would seriously help troubleshooting for me.  I updated a data file and
now my main program is choking on it.  When the program encounters an error,
it dumps a bit of information to the screen for a few steps before the error
but that is not enough.

Footnote:
English sprakers on a roller coaster: "Weeee"
Spanish speakers on a rollercoaster:  " Nosostros"